From Yossi Farjoun's Homepage
- 8 oz (250 gr) creme fraiche (white cheese)
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 4 Heaping tbs baking powder (last time I used 4 tsp and it was fine....--Yossi 17:22, 30 December 2011 (UTC))
- 2 (small) eggs
- 4 tbs sugar
- 8 oz (250 gr) sour cream (or yogurt)
- 1 bottle of vegetable oil
- your favorite jam (strawberry jam is recommended)
- confectioners (powdered) sugar.
- Put the oil in a deep pot and heat. Don't let the oil get too hot
- Mix all cheese, flour, baking powder, eggs, sugar and sour cream in a bowl until smooth.
- Keeping the oil hot, but not too hot, add spoonfuls of the batter to the oil, try to keep the batter from having spikes...
- Batter will bubble and eventually brown, if the balls don't turn over on their own accord, give them a nudge
- Remove and place on paper towels when browned. If oil is too hot, the batter will be uncooked in the center of the balls....
- With a spoon or large syringe, introduce about half a spoon of jam into the balls.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve. Best when eaten fresh and warm.
Back to Recipes